Palestinian Authority says peace talks not ready to begin

US Secratary of State John Kerry (Photo: AP)

US Secratary of State John Kerry (Photo: AP)

A senior member of the Palestinian Authority has denied that an agreement has been reached to restart peace talks.

US Secretary of State John Kerry announced on Friday that the groundwork had been laid for the resumption of negotiations.

However, Nabil Abu Rudeineh, spokesman for PA president Mahmoud Abbas said in a statement on Sunday that low-level preliminary talks were still on-going and that the preconditions of 1967 borders and a halt to settlement building were still in place.

Also creating barriers for possible peace talks this weekend was Jewish Home leader Naftali Bennett. The party is to insist on a referendum on any peace agreement in which Israel gives up land. Jewish Home is expected to not support the current Israeli budget without a bill promising a referendum.

Last updated: 9:40am, July 22 2013