Aidan Burley to stand down as MP

Conservative MP who hired a Nazi fancy-dress outfit for a stag-do has announced he will not stand for re-election.

Aidan Burley said in a statement released on Wednesday that he had decided to leave Parliament at next year’s general election after “a difficult time”.

The results of an internal Tory probe published last month found that the Cannock Chase MP had been “offensive and stupid” but had not acted in a “racist or antisemitic way” when arranging an SS costume for a friend’s celebrations.

Questions had repeatedly been raised about Mr Burley’s exact involvement in the 2011 stag party, and the Mail on Sunday accused him of providing misleading information to the Conservative inquiry.

In his statement Mr Burley said it had been a “huge privilege” to represent his constituents and that he would continue to work for them until the election. He made no reference to the controversy surrounding his departure.

The 35-year-old MP had repeatedly apologised for his actions, including in a letter to the JC after details of the party were made public.

But that letter appeared to come back to haunt him last month after it was revealed in a French court that he had arranged the hire of the SS costume – a point he had not made clear in his apologies two years ago.

Mr Burley was sacked as a Parliamentary private secretary after the original incident.

Last updated: 7:30pm, February 5 2014