Recipe: Sweet potato canneloni
JCI's delicious vegetarian starter or side. If your sweet potatoes are too small to make 5x10cm rectangles, line up smaller rectangles and roll them together. Lay them on a piece of clingfilm to help. Once rolled, the cannelloni can be refrigerated, covered, overnight. Bring to room temperature before baking.
● 3 medium sweet potatoes (approx 450g each)
● 170g low-fat cottage cheese
● 110g diced apple (skin on)
● 3 tbsp chopped fresh chives
● 50g Parmesan cheese, half grated ,half shaved
● ¼ tsp coarse salt
● Freshly ground pepper, to taste
● Vegetable oil cooking spray
● 1 tbsp walnut oil
● Approx 25g chopped toasted walnuts
● Preheat oven to 190°C. Wrap 1 sweet potato in baking parchment and foil. Pierce several times with a fork. Bake until tender, about 1 hour. Cool. Reduce oven to 170-180°C.
● Meanwhile, peel the remaining sweet potatoes. Using a mandolin or chef's knife, cut them lengthways very thinly until you have 30 slices. Trim each to a 5x10 cm rectangle.
● Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add half the sweet potato slices, and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, place slices on an oiled baking sheet to cool slightly. Repeat.
● Remove the skin from the baked sweet potato, and purée the flesh in a food processor until smooth. Add cottage cheese, and purée until smooth.
● Transfer the potato-cheese mixture to a large bowl. Stir in apple, chives, grated Parmesan, salt and pepper.
● Spray a 12x30-cm dish. Place 1 heaped tablespoon of filling in the centre of a sweet potato slice, and roll up. Place in dish seam down. Repeat. Brush with walnut oil. Bake until heated through –10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with walnuts, shaved Parmesan and chopped chives if you like.