Recipe: Sweet herring
Follow The JC on Twitter
At The Minnis, we use individual Kilner jars, placing 2 herring fillets curled around the inside with the shallot and a bay leaf in the middle of each jar. We then pour on the liquid and tighten the lid. This goes perfectly with a little horseradish cream and some lovely fresh bread.
● ½ tsp mustard seeds
● ½ tsp coriander seeds
● ½ tsp peppercorns, Szechuan or black
● 2 blades mace
● 85g caster or brown sugar
● 1 pint of malt vinegar
● 20 herring fillets
● 1 shallot – peeled and sliced
● 6 bay leaves
● In a warmed pan, place the coriander and mustard seeds, peppercorns and mace. Add the sugar and melt over a medium heat.
● Add the vinegar and bring to the boil.
● Boil the vinegar rapidly to release the flavours of the spices for about 6 – 8 minutes.
● Place the raw herring fillets in the bottom of a suitable jar and add the sliced shallot and the bay leaves.
● Cool the vinegar mixture for a few minutes, then pour over the herrings. Place a lid on the jar and refrigerate for 24 hours.
● These will keep for 10 days in the fridge.