Recipe: Sweet potato latkes
Sweet potato makes these latkes a little different, but the sugar in them means they can burn, so cook them over a medium to medium/high heat and don't keep them too long in the pan.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
● 3 (675g) Maris Piper potatoes
● 1 (256g) sweet potato
● 1 onion
● 60g flour
● ½ tsp baking powder
● 1 large egg
● 1 large egg yolk
● Sea salt and white pepper
● Garlic granules
● 450-500ml vegetable oil
● Crème fraîche
● Smoked salmon
● Grate the Maris Piper potatoes coarsely. Place in a tea towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible, then place the potato in a bowl (you want your moisture from other ingredients, not the potato).
● Grate the sweet potatoes and onion and add to the potato.
● In a separate bowl beat the egg and egg yolk, season generously with sea salt and white pepper and a few garlic granules, and stir into the potato mixture until combined.
● Add the sifted flour and baking powder and stir well.
● On a chopping board, fill a 3-inch round cutter with the mixture, pushing it down so it is tightly packed to the top. Level it off and lift off the cutter. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
● Heat the oil over a medium heat in a large frying pan.
● Carefully slide off the latkes into the hot oil, fry over moderate heat until brown on the underside (3-4 minutes), then flip over using a fork and spatula for another 3-4 minutes until crisp and golden.
● Drain on paper towels and serve immediately, or keep warm on a parchment or foil-lined tray in the oven until ready. Serve with a spoonful of crème fraîche, smoked salmon and dill.