Recipe: Giraffe's Sticky Toffee Pudding
Indulgent, rich, a classic. What can we say? This is just one of those puddings which, if you are in the mood, hits the spot. We sell hundreds of them every week. It is delicious with cream or ice cream.
● ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
● 180g butter, softened
● 240g dark brown sugar
● 2 medium eggs
● 375g plain flour
● 1tsp baking powder
● 75g sultanas
● Toffee Sauce
● 100g dark brown sugar
● 100ml double cream
● Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Line a brownie tin with baking parchment.
● Bring 250ml water to the boil, add the bicarbonate of soda and set aside.
● Whisk the butter and sugar and beat in the eggs. Fold in the flour, baking powder and sultanas. Stir in the reserved water.
● Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and cover with buttered tin foil. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the mixture is cooked - an inserted skewer should come out clean.
● Leave to cool for five minutes and turn out onto a chopping board. Remove the parchment and cut into squares.
● To make the toffee sauce, dissolve the sugar in a deep pan 200ml of water over a low heat. Turn up the heat and boil until caramel point is reached. The mixture will be a dark mahogany brown. l Remove from the heat, allow it to cool for a couple of minutes and then add the cream. Take care, as the mixture tends to bubble up. Mix gently. You may need to return it to the heat briefly to loosen it. Serve with the toffee sauce.
Adapted from 'The Giraffe Family Cookbook' by Hugo Arnold, published by W&N at £9.89