Recipe: Tunisian biscuits
Follow The JC on Twitter
Makes up to 30-35, or 20-25 larger biscuits
● 2 eggs
● 2 tsp vanilla sugar
● 150g caster sugar
● 125ml vegetable or sunflower oil
● Approx 500g self-raising flour
● Heat your oven to 190°C (180°C fan oven) and line a baking sheet.
● Beat the eggs, sugars and oil with a fork.
● Add the flour gradually, mixing with your hands to disperse any flour lumps until the mixture forms a firm ball which should not stick to your fingers. If you prefer a softer biscuit, add less flour.
● Separate the dough into small balls and form into finger biscuits. Bake for approximately 10 minutes until the dough is golden brown.
Makes up to 60
● 4 eggs
● 300g caster sugar
● 4 tsp vanilla sugar
● 250ml vegetable or sunflower oil
● Up to 1kg self-raising flour
● Generous handful of each of dark chocolate, raisins, flaked almonds, anise seeds
● Follow the recipe for the finger biscuits, but use only enough flour to produce a soft dough.
● Divide the dough into four. Add chocolate to one quarter, raisins to the second, almonds to the third and the anise seeds to the fourth.
● Shape each ball into a rectangle.
● Bake at 190°C for about 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
● Allow to cool, cut thin rectangular biscuits from each block.