Recipe: Lychee and summer berry Frozen yoghurts
I adore frozen yoghurt and it is a little less rich than ordinary ice cream. Lychee is one of my favourite flavours and is very refreshing. The second recipe makes the most of summer's gorgeous summer berries and cherries. Out of season, frozen berries work well. It is worth investing in an ice cream machine, as once you have tasted these you will want to make them again and again.
Both serve 6
● 500 ml full fat natural yoghurt
● 150 ml single cream
● 75g caster sugar
● 425g tin lychees
● Mix together the yoghurt, cream and sugar. Blend the lychees together with 200ml of the juice from the tin.
● Freeze and churn the mixture in an ice cream maker. If you don't have an ice-cream maker, pour the mixture into a shallow container, place in the freezer for 1 hour, then transfer to a food processor and whiz until smooth to break down the ice crystals that form.
● Freeze for 2 hours, then process again before freezing until firm.
Summer Berry flavour
● 200g mixed, fresh or frozen summer fruits eg: strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, stoned cherries
● 200 ml double cream
● 400 ml mild natural yoghurt
● 75g caster sugar plus one tablespoon
● Put the fresh or frozen berries in a small saucepan together with one tablespoon of the caster sugar and cook over a gentle heat for a few minutes until soft.
● Puree the fruit and press through a sieve to get rid of the seeds.
● Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks. Mix together the cream, yoghurt, sugar and sieved fruit puree.
● Follow the method above for freezing. You may need to repeat the whizzing a couple of times during the freezing process if not using an ice cream maker.