Saffron and cardamom creme brulee
Preparation time: 30 minutes plus infusing and cooling.
Cooking time: 1 hour. Serves 6.
● A few strands of saffron
● 500ml double cream (or soya milk if you prefer pareve)
● 4 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
● 6 egg yolks
● 85g caster sugar
● Heat the saffron strands in a frying pan for a few seconds.
● Bring the cream or soya milk to the boil with the cardamom pods, and add the roasted saffron. Allow to infuse for at least 10 minutes (preferably up to 30 minutes) and strain. The mixture will cool slightly.
● Bring to the boil again while you mix egg yolks and caster sugar to form a thick paste.
● Add the boiling cream mixture to the egg yolk paste and whisk gently.
● Pour into 6 individual ramekins.
● Place ramekins in a roasting tin filled with enough warm water to come at least two thirds up the sides of the dishes. Bake at 140°C for 1 hour, until the custards are set but still a little wobbly in the centre.
● Cool, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
● Just before serving, sprinkle each evenly with caster sugar and caramelise using a blow torch or by putting under a hot grill.
● Allow the sugar to harden before serving. Serve with fresh berries.
Recipe originated by Ben Tenenblat