Recipe: Berry Mess
Follow The JC on Twitter
This is a variation on Eton mess which is traditionally served at the school's annual cricket game against Winchester College. The combination of berries with crushed meringue is heavenly. You could also purée and sieve some raspberries together with a little icing sugar to make a raspberry coulis, and stir this through the mixture.
● 260g mixed berries (eg blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries)
● 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp icing sugar
● 125 ml double cream
● ¼ tsp vanilla extract
● 200g thick Greek yoghurt
● 2-3 meringue nests, approx 65g, broken into small pieces
● Put the berries in a bowl. Add 1 tbsp of icing sugar and mix, crushing a few of the berries.
● In a separate bowl, put the cream, 1 tsp of icing sugar and the vanilla, and whip to soft peaks.
● Stir the yoghurt to loosen slightly then gently fold into the cream, with the berries and meringue pieces.
● Spoon the mixture into 4 glasses and serve.
● You can chill this for up to 30 minutes.
Annabel Karmel's 'Essential Guide to Feeding your Baby and Toddler' is available as an iPhone App priced £3.99