Recipe: Chocolate honeycomb marshmallow cheesecake
Follow The JC on Twitter
This very different cheesecake is bound to impress. Do use full-fat cream cheese as it holds better when cooked, and add the honeycomb decoration at the last minute so it keeps its crunch.
For the honeycomb:
● 4 tbsp golden syrup
● 1 tbsp water
● 200g caster sugar
● 3 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
For the cheesecake:
● 150g digestive biscuits
● 100g honeycomb
● 125g butter, melted
● Vanilla pod
● 600g full-fat soft cream cheese
● 100g of caster sugar
● 3 large eggs
For the marshmallow topping:
● 500g mini marshmallows
● 200g milk chocolate
● 200g white chocolate
● First make the honeycomb: grease a 20cm square cake tin or slice tray. In a large pan, bring the golden syrup, water and sugar to the boil then simmer on a low heat for 5-10 minutes, making sure it doesn't burn. Cooking time will vary but from 5 minutes, test it by dropping a little of the mixture into some water - it should become brittle when ready.
● Remove from the heat and add the bicarbonate of soda. It will foam up, so mix quickly and pour immediately into the tin. Leave to set, then break into large chunks.
● Keep some aside to decorate.
● For the cheesecake base: process or crush the biscuits finely. Then process the honeycomb leaving a few small chunks.
● Mix and stir in the melted butter. Add a little cold milk if necessary to hold it together. Press the mixture into a 20cm tin. Refrigerate for 30 minutes until firm.
● For the filling: soak the vanilla pod in warm water, drain then split it lengthways and scrape out the grains. Beat cheese and sugar in a bowl with electric mixer until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla and beat well. Pour over the biscuit base and cook for 35 minutes at 150°C.
● To decorate: Melt the chocolate separately. Allow to cool slightly but while still runny, dip half of the marshmallow in white and the other in milk chocolate.
● Once the cake is cool, decorate with the marshmallows and immediately before serving sprinkle with crushed honeycomb.
Chef Fabienne Viner-Luzzato will be giving away her cheesecake-making secrets at two JCC London workshops on June 7 and 8. Visit www.jcclondon.org.uk or call 020 7431 9866. www.homecookingbyfabienne.co.uk