Recipe: Beetroot and pomegranate salad
Beetroot and pomegranate salad, a recipe from Gur’s influential cookbook
Janna Gur first encountered this dish during a photo shoot for The Book of the New Israel Food. As she says: "The cook Erez Komarovsky prepared a few salads for the Israeli meze section of the book, and this one caught my attention. I never thought of mixing beets and pomegranates in one dish, but one bite revealed the magic. Almost identical in colour, their diametrically opposed textures and flavours complement each other beautifully: pomegranates are tangy and crunchy, beets - soft and sweet."
● 3-4 medium beetroots
● 2 tbsp pomegranate syrup (pomegranate molasses)
● 2-3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
● 2-3 dried chilli peppers, crushed
● Coarse sea salt
● 4 tbsp delicate olive oil
● Small handful fresh coriander leaves
● 75g pomegranate seeds
● Boil the beetroots in water until tender. Cool, peel and cut into very small dice.
● Mix with the pomegranate syrup, lemon juice, peppers and coarse sea salt. Set aside for about 15 minutes.
● Mix the salad with the coriander leaves and pomegranate seeds, pour the olive oil on top and serve.