Recipe: Rhubarb and apple crumble
Crumbles are one of my favourite desserts and they are very easy and quick to prepare. You can make the topping in advance and if you want to plan ahead you can make double and freeze one. I find the best crumbles include slightly tart fruits like blackberries or rhubarb as these compliment the crumble topping. You can whizz the ingredients for the topping together in a food processor or you can mix them by hand. This makes one large crumble or you can prepare individual crumbles in ramekin dishes.
The recipe is from my new app, Annabel's Essential Guide to Feeding Your Baby and Toddler, with 100 recipes, and videos showing you how to cook some of the dishes, including this crumble.
Suitable for freezing (cooked). Makes six portions
For the filling
● 600g Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into thick slices
● 400g rhubarb, cut into 2 cm chunks
● 100g caster sugar
For the topping
● 150g plain flour
● Pinch salt
● 75g cold butter cut into pieces
● 85g Demerera sugar
● 25g rolled oats
● 50g ground almonds
● Pinch ground ginger
● Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
● Put the apples and sugar in a large heavy saucepan. Heat gently until the sugar melts, then increase the heat and boil for 4 to 5 minutes until the sugar caramelises slightly (it will turn golden).
● Add the rhubarb, reduce the heat to low and cook gently for 4 to 5 minutes until the rhubarb softens slightly.
● Meanwhile, put the topping ingredients in a food processor and whiz to fine crumbs.
● Alternatively, to make the topping by hand, put the flour and salt in a bowl, using your fingers, rub in the butter until it looks like crumbs, then stir in the sugar, ground almonds and the ground ginger.
● Put the fruit in a 2 litre dish and sprinkle over the topping.
● Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes until the top is golden.
Annabel's latest book, '100 Family Meals', is published in January. It is one of a series of seven books called My Kitchen Table written by top chefs including Rick Stein, Antonio Carluccio and Madhur Jaffrey. Each book is a collection of 100 favourite meals with colour photos of all recipes and is available in bookshops at £7.99 or at Amazon.co.uk