Recipe: Mackerel with mango and lime salsa
Follow The JC on Twitter
Confide in a friend that you are having an affair, and the first question is… salmon or chicken?
Joking aside, when it comes to special occasions, salmon remains the fishy choice (unless you go proper posh with sea bass). I feel like I have gone from herring queen to salmon princess in one cross-generational, suburban leap upstream.
Both salmon and herring are oil-rich and bubbe-guaranteed to increase brain power, along with other, so-called "blue" fish in the Jewish repertoire, such as anchovies, sardines and tuna.
There is, however, another super-healthy fish I've been eating recently which gets extra brownie points for sustainability and all-round goodness - mackerel.
The thing about fresh mackerel is that it has to be really, really fresh and, unless you live within a fish ball's throw of the sea, it is hard to find any that has not lost its allure by the time it reaches your table.
And as I'm not about to start catching it myself, I was pleased to come across www.fishforthought.co.uk who bring the finest Cornish mackerel and other fresh fish straight to your door with a guaranteed next day, nationwide delivery service. With their own boats, they are committed to local sourcing and ethical fishing, and are the first online retailer to achieve MSC (Marine Stewardship Council) Accreditation.
And although I usually prefer fish on the bone, they also gut and fillet the mackerel beautifully.
To serve 4. This tropical, summer salsa adds a lively, cutting edge to the fish. Make it several hours in advance. Test the mango's ripeness by giving it a squeeze. Your fingers should gently sink in but the fruit should not feel squishy. I am hooked on the intense flavour of coriander, but for those less enamoured, substitute fresh parsley or mint.
For the salsa
● 2 large, ripe mangos, peeled, pitted and diced
● 1 red onion, finely chopped
● 2 large tomatoes, chopped into small pieces
● Juice and zest of 1 lime
● Half a fresh red or green chilli, seeded and finely chopped
● 20g fresh coriander, chopped
For the mackerel
● 4 whole mackerel
● Salt and pepper
● Mix all the salsa ingredients gently together in a serving bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve the fish.
● Make 2 diagonal slashes on either side of each mackerel and season inside and out with salt and pepper.
● Grill for 6-7 minutes on each side or until the skin is well-blistered and crisp. Serve with the salsa.