Recipe: Fusilli with salmon and spring vegetables
This tasty recipe can be made in less than 20 minutes. Salmon is such a good food to include in your diet as it is rich in essential fatty acids, which are good for the heart, brain and your skin. I make a light cheese sauce by simply mixing together crème fraiche, vegetable stock and freshly grated Parmesan. Poach the salmon until just cooked and then toss this with the lightly sautéed colourful spring vegetables, fusilli pasta and mix with the cheese sauce. It could not be simpler and it is a dish the whole family can enjoy.
Makes four 4 portions
● 200g fusilli
● 2 tbsp light olive oil
● 1 onion, finely chopped
● 1 clove garlic, crushed
● 100g orange pepper cut into strips
● 100g broccoli florets
● 1 medium courgette (150g), sliced and the then cut into semi circles
● 250g salmon fillets
● 250ml fish stock
● 150g crème fraiche (you can use half fat if you prefer)
● 200 ml vegetable stock
● 150g tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and cut into chunks
● 75g Parmesan cheese, grated
● Salt and freshly ground black pepper
● Cook the fusilli according to the directions on the packet. Heat the olive oil in a heavy based saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic for three minutes, stirring occasionally.
● Add the orange pepper, broccoli and courgette and sauté for 6 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally until tender. Meanwhile, cut the salmon into chunks.
● Put into a saucepan, cover with fish stock and poach over a gentle heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until cooked.
● Remove from the pan, strain and set aside. Stir the crème fraiche and vegetable stock into the cooked vegetables and bring to a simmer.
● Stir in the chopped tomatoes and chunks of salmon and simmer for two minutes, then stir in the Parmesan cheese and season to taste. Toss the drained fusilli with the sauce, taking care not to break up the chunks of salmon.
Annabel Karmel has written 19 books on feeding babies, children and families, including the ‘Complete Family Meal Planner’. For more recipes, visit www.annabelkarmel.com