Recipe: Yakitori Chicken kebabs with noodles
One of my favourite ways of preparing chicken is to make these marinated yakitori chicken skewers. Mirin is a sweetened sake or rice wine with a light syrupy texture and it adds a wonderful taste to this dish. In Japan yakitori chicken is a street food and many people will grab some from special stalls on their way home from work. Here in Britain it is served up as a delicacy in trendy Japanese restaurants. Traditionally it is made with chicken thigh rather than breast as it has a better flavour and remains lovely and moist.
Makes three portions
● 3 tbsp mirin
● 3 tbsp honey
● 3 tbsp soy sauce
● 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
● 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
● 1 clove garlic, crushed
● 3 tbsp oil
● 4 chicken thighs, boned and cut into large chinks
● 125g medium noodles
● 1 large courgette, sliced into batons
● 1 large carrot, sliced into batons
● 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
● 1 red onion, sliced
● 75g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
● 75 ml chicken stock
● 4 tsp soy sauce
● 4 tsp sweet chilli sauce
● 6 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 20 minutes
● Preheat the oven to 220°C fan (gas 7).
● Measure the mirin, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, ginger and garlic into a small pan. Bring to the boil then reduce by a third, stirring. Leave to cool.
● Mix the cold marinade with the chicken and marinate for 30 minutes. Season and thread onto 6 skewers.
● Heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan.
● Brown the skewers for 1 to 2 minutes on both sides until golden, then place onto a baking sheet.
● Bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes until cooked through.
● Meanwhile, cook the noodles in boiling salted water according to the packet instructions and drain.
● Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan or wok. Fry all of the vegetables for 3 to 4 minutes, then add the noodles and stock, water, chilli sauce, soy and seasoning and heat through. Serve with the kebabs.
Annabel Karmel has written 19 books on feeding babies, children and families including the ‘Complete Family Meal Planner’. For more recipes visit www.annabelkarmel.com