Follow The JC on Twitter
Packed with chopped mint and parsley (you're aiming for half herbs to bulghur), this lemony dressed bulghur or cracked wheat salad is great served with virtually any savoury main dish, or as a simple starter with baby cos lettuce leaves to scoop it up.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Soak: 30 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
● 100g fine grade bulghur wheat
● 4 tbsp virgin olive oil
● Juice of 1 lemon
● Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
● 25g fresh mint, finely chopped
● 55g fresh flat-leaf parsley
● 2 plum tomatoes, finely diced
● ¼ cucumber, diced
● ½ bunch of spring onions,finely chopped
● ¼ pomegranate, seeds removed from casing
● Tip the bulghur wheat into a bowl, cover with cold salted
water and leave to soak for at least 30 minutes until softened.
● Using a fork, make the dressing by stirring the oil, lemon juice and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
● Drain the bulghur wheat if required and spoon into a salad bowl, then pour over the dressing and stir together.
● Add the chopped herbs, tomatoes, cucumber and spring onions to the bulghur wheat, stirring gently.
● Scatter the pomegranate seeds on top as you are about to serve.