Courgettes and manchego on toast
Follow The JC on Twitter
A lunch or supper that takes 5 minutes to prepare and shows off courgettes at their best. Any basil will be good here, but Greek basil sets everything off perfectly.
● 4 small-medium courgettes
● 3 tbsp olive oil
● 4 slices of bread, ideally sourdough
● 10g manchego or other hard cheese
● A small handful of Greek basil
● Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
● Cut the courgettes into 5–10mm slices. Warm the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the courgettes and cook until well coloured on the flat sides, stirring to prevent burning. In the meantime, toast the bread.
● Pile the courgettes onto the toast slices and season with salt and pepper as you like. Shave the manchego over using a vegetable peeler and sprinkle with the basil.
From A Year at Otter Farm, by Mark Diacono, is published by Bloomsbury, £25, hardback