Golden beetroot salad
There are several varieties of beetroot available, although most people only know the red/purple variety. Simon Hulstone's golden beetroot salad is a bright and fresh vegetarian starter, and a particular favourite for goat's cheese fans. Using golden beetroot, paired with watercress and elderflower cordial, this recipe is the perfect excuse to try the other wonderful varieties of beetroot on offer.
Preparation: 15 minutes plus 1 hour to marinate
Cooking: 30 minutes
● 4 golden beetroots
● 150g goat's cheese
● 50g baby watercress
For the dressing:
● 10g cracked black pepper
● 50ml elderflower cordial
● 15ml champagne vinegar
● 100ml extra virgin olive oil
● Sea salt to season
● To begin with, cook the golden beetroot in salted boiling water. After cooking, let the beetroot cool before peeling, cut the beetroot into discs or wedges.
● Combine the vinegar and cordial and then, using a whisk, add the oil.
● Season and add to the beetroot, marinading for an hour. Crumble the cheese into pieces and roll in the cracked black pepper.
● Drain the marinade off the beetroot but do not discard the dressing.
● Plate the beetroot interspersed with the cheese and garnish with the watercress. Drizzle the held-back dressing over the salad and serve.
Recipe courtesy of www.greatbritishchefs.com