Beef and asparagus stir fry
Follow The JC on Twitter
Photo: Lauren Marsh
Make this while you can still get your hands on British asparagus. Although supermarkets stock asparagus from different parts of the world all year round, the unbeatable flavour and freshness of the homegrown variety is well worth waiting for.
Preparation: 20 mins
Cooking: 15-20 mins
● 340g asparagus
● 2 tbsp groundnut oil
● 500g beef steak, sliced thinly
● 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
● 2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
● 2 tbsp soy sauce
● 1 large brown onion, sliced thinly
● 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
● 1 tsp grated ginger
● 3 spring onions, cut into 2.5cm lengths
● 1 tsp sesame oil
● 2 tbsp roasted cashew nuts
● 1 small chilli, sliced (optional for garnish)
● Prepare the asparagus by cutting off the tougher root ends and, using a vegetable peeler, peeling the top layer off around the asparagus one inch from the bottom of the tip. Cut in half horizontally.
● Slice the beef into strips about 1cm wide.
● Heat half the oil in a wok, and stir fry the beef in batches until browned. Remove it to a plate to rest.
● Mix the teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, sugar and 1 tbsp water, and set aside.
● Heat the remaining oil in the wok and stir fry the onion until soft and translucent, then add the asparagus and continue cooking for 10-12 minutes until al dente.
● Return the beef to the wok with the garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds.
● Add the spring onions, stir-fry for 2 minutes, then add the sauce and cook for a further minute.
● Drizzle with the sesame oil, then scatter with cashew nuts and sliced chilli – if using.
● Serve immediately with steamed rice or noodles