Double strawberry and cream sweetie tart
This tart makes a fun dessert or celebration cake that your children will love. The base is soft and spongy, the melted strawberry sweets in the cream give a lovely tangy taste, and the fresh strawberry provides some vitamins. I use Haribo kosher strawberrry sweets.
Preparation: 45 mins
Cooking: 35-40 minutes
For the pastry base:
● 200g butter/margarine, softened
● 200g plain flour
● 100g self-raising flour
● 100g icing sugar
For the cream and toppings:
● 250g fresh strawberries washed, dried and hulled
● 150g strawberry sweets: 75g to melt and the rest for the toppings
● 300ml double cream or of unsweetened pareve cream
● Vanilla extract
● Heat your oven to 160°C.
● To make the pastry: mix the butter/margarine, sugar and both flours together.
● Flatten with a rolling pin on a floured surface. Lay on a 22-25cm tart dish.
● Bake the base for 30-35 minutes until the borders of the tart become golden and
● Leave to cool.
● For the topping: melt 75g of the strawberry sweets with three tablespoons of water in a pan over medium heat.
● Using an electric whisk, mix the double cream until it just holds its shape and is fluffy but is not stiff and yellow.
● Stir in the melted strawberry sweets and a few drops of vanilla essence.
● Spread the cream over the tart base and decorate with fresh strawberries and the remaining strawberry sweets.
● Refrigerate the tart before serving.