Park acknowledges Jewish heritage
Follow The JC on Twitter
A leaflet marking the centenary of St Ann’s Well Gardens notes that the park owes its existence to two Jewish benefactors. In 1908, several businessmen offered the then owner, D’Avigdor Goldsmid, £26,000 for the site but he refused and sold the land to Hove Council for £10,000, for a public park. The leaflet also notes that Flora Sassoon bought land from the Goldsmid estate and donated it to the council in 1913, on condition that it was added to the park.