Fire destroys Edgware mikveh

By James Martin, April 2, 2009
Firemen fight the blaze which caused £50,000 of damage

Firemen fight the blaze which caused £50,000 of damage

A fire at Chabad House, Edgware, last Thursday afternoon caused damage estimated at £50,000.

The blaze at the Hale Lane premises — attributed to “a breakdown in the electrical installation which services the mikveh”— started at 4pm. Fire services were on the scene in 10 minutes but could not save the outdoor shed housing the mikveh, furniture and prayer books. The mikveh was installed eight years ago in memory of former PoW Jack Marks, who had died in a house fire.

Edgware Chabad’s Rabbi Leivi Sudak said: “We’ve already been told by fire inspectors that everything was done correctly on our part. We are now waiting for permission to clear the debris. It’s a miracle that no one was hurt and that it occurred an hour-and-a-half after our kindergarten closed for the day.”

The main building was undamaged and synagogue services and the kindergarten have been operating as normal.

Last updated: 3:28pm, July 22 2009