More places offered at London schools

JFS and JCoSS have made fresh offers of places this week, bringing relief to at least 50 families waiting to get their children into a London Jewish secondary school.

Both schools were heavily oversubscribed when the initial offers were made earlier this month.

JFS, which can take 300 entrants at year seven, has made 35 second round offers. JCoSS, which can take a maximum 180, has offered 15.

But JFS chairman Michael Glass pointed out that the number of second round offers, normally around 45, was down this year, reflecting high demand.

"JFS received more applicants this year together with a higher number of parents placing JFS as first choice.," he said.

"The school remains extremely popular due to its innovations in both secular and Jewish education and its resources, which enables it to satisfy the requirements of a varied student body."

JCoSS head Jeremy Stowe-Lindner said the school was "delighted by the response from the community. This is a true testament to all that has been achieved since we opened our doors only seven months ago. Parents are choosing JCoSS due to our outstanding teaching, magnificent facilities and inclusive ethos and are impressed by our hard-working and polite students."

Although JCoSS still has a three-figure waiting list, Mr Stowe-Lindner said there was hope for those without a place.

"We know there are a number of disappointed families," he said.

"However, there is a great deal of movement over the coming months and so I would encourage you to remain on our waiting list as it is possible that we may be able to accommodate you."

    Last updated: 2:35pm, March 24 2011