Ovens ban after kosher bakery leak

By Marcus Dysch, July 1, 2010

A Hendon kosher bakery and café has been banned from using its gas ovens following a carbon monoxide leak on Sunday morning.

More than 20 people were evacuated and a large section of Brent Street was sealed off following the incident at Mr Baker.

It took five fire engines and specialist appliances, four rapid response ambulance cars and a team of police officers over four hours to deal with the leak.

The London Ambulance Service said that as a precaution, it had assessed 10 people at the scene but none had required hospital treatment.

An environmental health team from Barnet Council also attended and ordered that the ovens be switched off until an investigation is completed "and decided they are safe".

A bakery representative refused to comment.

Last updated: 1:55pm, July 1 2010