Hereford Scroll returned
Follow The JC on Twitter
A sefer Torah which had languished in the vaults of a Hereford museum for 80 years was paraded through the streets of the city on Shabbat as it was returned to the Herefordshire Jewish Community on semi-permanent loan.
The Liberal Judaism-affiliated community took possession of the scroll after repairs were conducted under the aegis of the Herefordshire Records Office with funding from local Jews and a grant from the NLPS Trust.
Following the parade, a Shabbat service was attended by 90 people, including civic and museum representatives, past and present Herefordshire members and congregants from the Gloucestershire community, whose Rabbi Anna Gerrard officiated.
The scroll was gifted to the museum in 1933 by Colonel Tudor Fitzjohn, a distinguished First World War veteran.