Butcher shop is gutted by fire

A charred freezer removed by the fire service outside the burntout Meat Mart premises in Prestwich. (Photo: Lawrence Purcell)

A charred freezer removed by the fire service outside the burntout Meat Mart premises in Prestwich. (Photo: Lawrence Purcell)

The head of a family-run kosher butcher in north Manchester has vowed to rebuild the business after his shop was gutted by fire on Friday night.

Fire crews were quickly on the scene at Meat Mart on King’s Road, the major Prestwich Jewish shopping area, when the blaze was reported at around 10.30pm. It took over an hour to bring it under control using special hoses designed to tackle larger blazes.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue said an electrical failure in a freezer unit was was the suspected cause.
Owner Chaim Erlanger watched the shop burn down, having been called out during his Friday night dinner.

“There was just smoke, smoke, smoke.All I can say is that, baruch Hashem, no one was hurt and we will reopen.” There was also considerable smoke damage to adjoining properties.

Last updated: 11:45am, June 17 2013