Money mensch: Get money back from your mortgage lender

By Martin Lewis, February 21, 2008

There is a quick and easy way to get money back from your mortgage lender, whether you have switched to a new lender or paid off your mortgage in full during the past six years. Phone up and ask how much they said they would charge you as a mortgage exit administration fee (MEAF) in your contract — and what they in fact charged. Then get them to pay you the difference. The regulator says that mortgage companies should not charge you more than stated in your contract when you close your mortgage down. They are required to repay any sum beyond that. To find out how much you can expect to get back from lenders, go to

Last updated: 11:28am, September 22 2009