A warning to all vehicle owners

By Martin Lewis, April 14, 2011

There is a big change coming to car insurance. The new Continuous Insurance Enforcement that comes into effect later this spring says all cars, bikes and motor homes must be insured, even if no-one drives them.

In other words, if you have a car, it needs to be continually insured. So you need to beware of your insurance lapsing while you are away.

The only way out is to apply for a Statutory Off Road Notification (otherwise known as SORN) declaring that your vehicle is not in use. This makes it more important than ever to schedule in when your renewal is due. Leaving it until the car insurance company tells you may not leave you enough time to compare the best deals, so you will just auto-renew. Do that and you usually pay substantially more than you need to.

For a full step-by-step to cutting car insurance costs visit http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/carinsurance.

Last updated: 11:58am, April 14 2011