October 16, 2010
"The Best Chicken Soup in America"
Rosely Himmelstein�s winning recipe from Shabbat Across America�s Chicken Soup Challenge
(Serves about 6)
• 2 quarts of chicken broth (the recipe follows)
• 1 chicken (about 3-4 pounds), quartered (I prefer a regular chicken to a fowl); rinsed
• 1 large carrot, peeled and cup up
• 1 large onion, peeled and cup up
• 1 stalk celery
• 1 leek, white and light green parts only; washed well
• 1 parsnip, peeled and cut up
• 1 parsley root, with greens attached
• 1 sweet potato, peeled
• a handful of dill (about 3-4 stems)
• 1 small rutabaga, peeled and cut up
• a few sprigs of cilantro (optional)
• Salt and pepper to taste
Put chicken broth in pot; bring to boil.
Add chicken. Return to boil; lower heat.
Gently simmer uncovered for 1 hour.
Add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for one-half hour more; stir occasionally.
Skim fat from top.
Pour into bowls; into each add a slice of carrot and a sprig of cilantro.
If storing, let soup cool before refrigerating. When cold, remove the fat that
rises to the surface. Use soup within 2-3 days, or store in freezer.