Shaw finish helps Thornes close in on title

By Andrew Pentol, March 14, 2011

A solitary strike from Jamie Shaw was enough to settle this JC Maccabi (Southern) Football League Division three top-of-the-table clash and east London derby at Fairlop on Sunday.

After dominating much of the match and squandering a number of opportunities, Shaw was in the right place at the right time on 70 minutes when a cross from the influential Dan Lipman rebounded off him and into the net.


The result moves Glenthorne five points clear at the top although Redbridge have a game in hand.

After a quiet start the match burst into life on eight minutes when Glenthorne’s Paul Biller capitalised on some poor defending from Ronnie Furman only to see his effort palmed away by Redbridge keeper Paul Sanders.


Redbridge, who were playing a 4-5-1 formation with Daniel Gordon the lone striker, went close themselves on 20 minutes, Greg Bookman forcing Glenthorne stopper Bradley Grant to tip over his speculative effort.

Redbridge were struggling to gain a foothold in the game and it was Glenthorne who continued to threaten, Gary Tiller blazing over when well placed, Josh Cohen, who replaced the injured Ashley Stanton, heading wide after Sanders diverted a John Lessem set-piece onto his head and Lipman and Biller both wasting decent opportunities.

Chances were few and far between for Redbridge. But Gordon almost snatched the lead against the run of play two minutes before the break, Bookman playing in Gordon who blasted over with the just the keeper to beat.

More hesitant defending almost gifted Glenthorne the lead on 48 minutes; Steve Clements saved the day with a goalline clearance. But the impressive Lipman was starting to run the game from midfield and it was his pass which teed up Shaw who narrowly missed the target.

Redbridge were struggling to contain their dominant opponents and almost fell behind moments before Shaw’s opportunistic strike, Lipman springing the Redbridge offside trap and picking out Shaw who was denied by a superb save from Sanders.

The Redbridge keeper was receiving little protection from his defenders and made a superb double stop moments later to keep his side in the game. Glenthorne substitute Dan Shafron almost made it safe on 75 minutes, driving wide when clean through.

But as the match became stretched Redbridge almost snatched an unlikely equaliser right at the death when substitute James Ryan headed a pinpoint Sam Solossi cross inches wide.

Shaw told JC Sport: “I did not know too much about the goal but I missed a sitter before so this made up for it. We were in total control and I knew the goal was going to come but did not think it would be me who scored it."

Glenthorne joint-player-manager David Blitz added: “There was only ever going to be one goal today, but in fairness the better team won. We battled for 90 minutes and eventually came through. We are now in a good position but this seems to be a title that nobody wants to in. I think it will go down to the last couple of games.”

Redbridge manager Richard Bronzite said: “It was a close game but we never really got going. We are more disappointed with the performance than the result but these things happen in football and we now have to bounce back.

"They have definitely got one hand on title and been brilliant over the two games we have played them.”

Glenthorne A: Bradley Grant, Tiller, Joe Grant, Kanter, Levy, Lipman, Lessem, Jay, Stanton (sub: Cohen 23), Biller (sub: Shafron 55) Shaw

Redbridge C: Sanders, Furman, Silver, Ballen, Clements (sub: Ryan 76), Solossi, Green, Grodent (sub: Sugarman 45) Mendel, Bookman, Gordon

Last updated: 3:39pm, March 14 2011