Abrams at the double for South Manchester

By Danny Caro, February 11, 2013


Two goals from Bobby Abrams eased South Manchester into the quarter-finals as they proved too strong for Temple Fortune at the Armitage.

South Manchester led 1-0 at the interval in a match held up for over an hour after South's Marc Parry suffered a broken arm.


Adam Lavin, Mark Addis and Tom Cantor were among the scorers in the second half as South booked a possible last eight clash against the winner of the tie between Norstar A, Hendon A or Woodford.

South Manchester joint-player-manager Loz Newman told JC Sport: "We knew Temple Fortune would provide a different type of opposition to the sides we face week in week out in the non-Jewish Manchester league and we coped with it fairly comfortably in the end.

"No disrespect to our opposition or the PM Trophy, but the game seemed a little less important after the injury to Marc and clearly it affected a lot of the lads when we eventually restarted, particularly as he was still being attended to on the side nearly two hours after the incident.

"He has arguably been our Player of the Season so far and for him and the club it is a big blow. We all wish him a speedy recovery and thank all those that helped out, as well as Temple Fortune for their patience and good wishes.

"We have a home tie in the next round and look forward to welcoming another London side to the Armitage. For the time being we turn our attention to Miam Miam on Sunday, a game that could decide the Accountants League title."

Fortune boss Lee Fegan commented: "Well done to South Manchester who were too strong for us so there isn't much else to add about the game.

"We wish their player a speedy recovery from his injury and thank Johnny Davis and his club for their hospitality which we all appreciated."

After the game it was confirmed that the unlucky Parry had suffered a compound fracture and broken his left arm in two places and was set to undergo on Monday.

Last updated: 11:08am, February 12 2013